Why eat with us?
- We have a wonderful relationship with our suppliers, most of them local, to ensure that we offer you the best possible products.
- The south west is a goldmine of locally-produced food and drink and that is why we need look no further afield to source top-quality produce.
- We buy fresh fish, (sea bass, sole, plaice) direct from the Budleigh fishermen or from local trawlers. Our mussels come from the River Exe, where they grow for an additional year in the river's safe waters, making them plump and tasty. In addition we can now offer gluten-free batter. Please ask for details.
- Our local supplier of fishcakes, whitebait and other tasty fish products sources its fish from Westcountry fishing ports, particularly Brixham and Newlyn offering customers a wonderful taste of the West.
- These products are in addition to our homemade fish pies and fishcakes, to our selection of Devon-made gourmet pies, pasties and puddings, Westcountry sausages and ice cream.
- We also sell two specially produced Budleigh beers, a bitter and a summer ale, locally produced cider and wines alongside a selection of known brands.
- We only buy fish from traceable sustainable sources, ensuring that fishing is managed, within quota and legal.
- Controlled trawling ensures that a healthy population of fish can naturally reproduce and replenish stocks without over exploiting the resources.
- All our suppliers are members of the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), an independent organisation that oversees sustainability. The MSC blue tick is becoming more familiar with the consumer and can be awarded at any point in the supply chain.
- Fish & chips is more than a nice meal, it is a healthy meal that is good for body and soul. Well-known agencies, such as Seafish, recommend that we should eat two portions of fish per week.
- Studies have shown that seafood helps energy levels, boosts brainpower and concentration as well as helping with smooth, clearer skin, shiny hair and a general wellbeing.
- Fish & chips is not the high calorie meal that many expect and it is low in salt compare to most other take-away meals.
- After researching the calorific value of our cod meal, we estimate that it is only about 700 calories. Of course, if you enjoy a starter, pudding or the odd drink or two, which we hope you will, that will increase.